"Wayamaya" (also known as "W") is an unreleased song by Lana Del Rey. It was leaked on August 6, 2015. ID3 tags in the original leaked file suggest that the track was recorded in 2007. They also suggest that the song was part of a tape called Relax 27's Album, which is Steven Mertens's nickname, indicating that he produced the track. Del Rey is listed as "Lana Rey" in the tags.
Background[edit | edit source]
Thematically, the song references Waimea Bay which is located in Haleiwa on the North Shore of O'ahu in the Hawaiian Islands at the mouth of the Waimea River. Waimea Valley extends behind Waimea Bay. Waimea means "reddish water" in Hawaiian.
Live performances[edit | edit source]
Del Rey acknowledged the song during the Austin, Texas show of the LA to the Moon Tour on February 11, 2018, when a fan requested she perform it. Del Rey then sang a snippet of the chorus a cappella and added that she would perform the song on the Honolulu date of the tour, but she never did.
Cross-references[edit | edit source]
- The song references the pseudonym May Jailer, Del Rey's former stage name.
- Gold lamé is mentioned in "Dance for Money".
- Direct reference to Ray, who appears in "Kill Kill" and "Raise Me Up (Mississippi South)".
- References to Hawaii can also be found in "Maha Maha" and "Hawaiian Tropic".
- Haze is also mentioned in "Not All Who Wander Are Lost".