Del Rey uploaded the song to her defunct SoundCloud profile on March 22, 2010, alongside other songs "On Our Way", "Hundred Dollar Bill", "Velvet Crowbar", "Kinda Outta Luck" and "You Can Be the Boss".
After being taken down from SoundCloud, the song leaked on December 20, 2012. The full instrumental surfaced online on August 13, 2016. Two vocal outtakes leaked on March 6, 2017. A snippet of an a cappella demo and a snippet of an acoustic demo of the song also leaked at different times. On June 5, 2017, a vocal outtake of the song was leaked.
On July 27, 2017, during an Instagram livestream, Del Rey mentioned that the song was amongst her favorite unreleased songs, which she wanted to release sometime in the future.
Del Rey performed the song several times as part of the setlist for the 2015 Endless Summer Tour. The first performance was on the first date on May 7 in The Woodlands, Texas, alongside the other unreleased songs "Serial Killer" and "You Can Be the Boss".
- Cola is referenced in many other songs such as "Serial Killer" and the song of the same name.
- Getting high is referenced in many other songs, such as "Born to Die".
- Being the "queen of New York" is also mentioned in "Summer of Sam", "Old Money" and "Party Girl".
- The title is referenced to in the lyrics of "Back to tha Basics".
- The chorus is almost identical to the one in "Party Girl".
- Studio version — 3:10
- Unmastered instrumental version — 3:14
- Lanadelrey. (2010) Lana Del Rey on SoundCloud. Wayback Machine. [Access Date: September 22, 2017]
- Lana Del Rey News (@QualityLana). ""Us Against The World" soundcheck in Texas! #EndlessSummerTour" May 7, 2015. Twitter. [Access Date: May 7, 2015]
- Williams, Dane. (2015) "Warming up for the #EndlessSummerTour @lanadelrey @blake_lee @mrbironic". Instagram. [Access date May 7, 2015]
- Ldr Fansite. (2015) "Lana Del Rey rehearsing "You Can Be The Boss" for the Endless Summer Tour". YouTube. [Access Date: June 10, 2017]