"Playground" (alternatively known as "Another Lonely Day") is an unreleased song by Lana Del Rey. It was recorded in 2010 and the final version leaked on November 18, 2014. The producer of the track is The Flight and it is not registered on any music publishing service.
Background[edit | edit source]
The song was first leaked on August 8, 2013 as "Playground (No Rap)" and featured only the chorus of the track, leading many to suspect that another guest vocalist was expected to rap over the instrumental breaks, although nothing surfaced. Prior to this, on July 20th, a blog had posted a snippet of a song titled "2011 ideas". The snippet was around 23 seconds long and featured low quality vocals by Del Rey rapping over the instrumental of "Carmen". The same blog posted another snippet on September 13th, titled "2011 ideas continued", this time featuring the instrumental and part of the chorus of "Summer of Sam". This fanmade track was dubbed by fans as "Doijroij". The track was finally leaked in full on November 18, 2014.
Cross-references[edit | edit source]
- Direct reference to "Scarface" and "Live Forever".
- "Rain, rain, go away now, come again another day in the game now" is a reference to the nursery rhyme "Rain Rain Go Away", while "ring around the rosie, ah, I don't wanna fall down" is a reference to the nursery rhyme "Ring Around the Rosie".
- Del Rey chants a nursery rhyme in "Lolita".
- The phrase "writing my lines" is also found in "Groupie Love".
- "I don't wanna fight" can also be heard in "BBM Baby", "Meet Me in the Pale Moonlight" and "Freak".
- "One, two, three, four" is used before the chorus of "Push Me Down" and "Summertime Sadness".
- Del Rey sings about just wanting to party in "Breaking My Heart".
- A player is also mentioned in "Beautiful Player".
- Biding one's time is also mentioned in "Tired of Singing the Blues".
Official versions[edit | edit source]
- Final version — 3:06
- "No Rap" version — 3:07