On September 18, 2018, during an interview with Zane Lowe, Del Rey explained the back story behind the title track:
"So the title track is called "'Norman Fucking Rockwell'" and it's kind of about this guy who is such a genius artist but he thinks he’s the shit and he knows it and he like won't shut up talking about it."
On June 15, 2019, Del Rey posted a snippet of the song on her Instagram.
- The color blue is also mentioned in many other Del Rey's songs, including "Old Money", and "Color Blue".
- Lana Del Rey — songwriting, production, vocals
- Jack Antonoff — songwriting, production, engineering, mixing, keyboards, piano
- Laura Sisk — engineering, mixing
- Jonathan Sher — assistant engineering
- Evan Smith — saxophone
- Phillip Peterson — baritone, cello, flugelbone
- Victoria Parker — violin
- Chris Gehringer — mastering
- Will Quinnell — assistant mastering
- Mastered at Sterling Sound
- Recorded at Conway Recording Studios, Los Angeles, United States / House of Breaking Glass, Seattle, United States
- Mixed at Conway Recording Studios, Los Angeles, United States
- Hussein, Wandera (September 18, 2018) "Lana Del Rey announces Norman Fucking Rockwell album, shares “Venice Bitch”"
- Lana Del Rey (@lanadelrey). “Norman fucking Rockwell Jack Antonoff. Video chuck grant”. 31 August 2019. Instagram. [Access date: 31 August 2019]
- Lana Del Rey (@Lana Del Rey). “Title track”. 31 August 2019. Twitter. [Access date: 31 August 2019]