On September 18, 2018, during an interview with Zane Lowe, Del Rey explained the back story behind the title track:
"So the title track is called "'Norman Fucking Rockwell'" and it's kind of about this guy who is such a genius artist but he thinks he’s the shit and he knows it and he like won't shut up talking about it."
On June 15, 2019, Del Rey posted a snippet of the song on her Instagram.
During an Instagram livestream on September 4, 2019, Del Rey revealed the track was originally titled "Bird World" but rumored to be "Burnt World" hence to the fires in the background of the cover of the album. And she performed this version featuring different verses. She also said it is her favorite song on the album. It was the third song recorded with Antonoff, after "Love Song" and "Hope Is a Dangerous Thing for a Woman like Me to Have — but I Have It".
Live performances Edit
"Norman Fucking Rockwell" serves as the opening track for the Norman Fucking Rockwell Tour, and was first performed live on September 21, 2019 at Jones Beach Theater in Wantagh, New York.
Music video Edit
|Released||December 20, 2019|
|Producer||Chuck Grant, Lana Del Rey|
|Location||Los Angeles, California|
|Vevo views||3,6+ Million views|
Background and description Edit
The video was originally set for release in October 2019. On December 17, 2019, Del Rey announced it would actually be released December 20, 2019. She shared another excerpt from the video the following day.
- The color blue is also mentioned in many other Del Rey's songs, including "Old Money", "Get Free" and "Color Blue".
- Poetry is also mentioned in "Brooklyn Baby".
Album version Edit
"Bird World" demo version Edit
- Lana Del Rey — songwriting, production, vocals
- Jack Antonoff — songwriting, production, engineering, mixing, keyboards, piano
- Laura Sisk — engineering, mixing
- Jonathan Sher — assistant engineering
- Evan Smith — saxophone
- Phillip Peterson — baritone, cello, flugelbone
- Victoria Parker — violin
- Chris Gehringer — mastering
- Will Quinnell — assistant mastering
- Mastered at Sterling Sound
- Recorded at Conway Recording Studios, Los Angeles, United States / House of Breaking Glass, Seattle, United States
- Mixed at Conway Recording Studios, Los Angeles, United States
- ↑ Hussein, Wandera (September 18, 2018) "Lana Del Rey announces Norman Fucking Rockwell album, shares “Venice Bitch”"
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (@lanadelrey). “Title track #normanfuckingrockwell @jackantonoff” 15 June 2019. Instagram. [Access date: 16 June 2019]
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (@lanadelrey). “Norman fucking Rockwell Jack Antonoff. Video chuck grant”. 31 August 2019. Instagram. [Access date: 31 August 2019]
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (@Lana Del Rey). “Title track”. 31 August 2019. Twitter. [Access date: 31 August 2019]
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (@lanadelrey). “Three song video for Norm coming Friday...” 17 December 2019. Instagram. [Access date: 18 December 2019]
- ↑ Lana Del Rey (@lanadelrey). “Happiness is @yourgirlchuck @missalexkaye @ms.ashrodriguez”. 18 December 2019. Instagram. [Access date: 18 December 2019]