"Music to Watch Boys To" is a song written by Lana Del Rey that will feature on Del Rey's third major-label full-length album Honeymoon. The song will be released as the second single on September 11, 2015.
Del Rey first mentioned the song as a potential title for the whole album in late June, 2014. On January 2, 2015, Del Rey opened up a little more on the song, elaborating on how she wrote it in a visual, noirish way saying "the title [of the song] lends itself to a visual of shadows of men passing by, this girl's eyes, her face. I can definitely see things."
On June 4, 2015, model Jake Mast tweeted that the music video he had filmed with Del Rey earlier in the year was for the track and would be released in June, however, by the end of the month, no video had been released. On September 1, 2015, Del Rey posted a photo depicting the behind-the-scenes of the music video for the track on Instagram. A snippet of the song was featured alongside excerpts from "Terrence Loves You", "Freak" and "High By the Beach" in an album sampler released September 8, 2015.
On September 9, 2015, Del Rey posted on social media sites the official single cover and announced the track will be premiering on Beats 1.
- "Ribbons on ice" is a reference to "Pabst Blue Ribbon on ice" from "This Is What Makes Us Girls".
- "Nothing gold can stay, like love or lemonade" could be a reference to the song "Ultraviolence"
- ↑ Lananow (2014) Audio clip of Del Rey talking about third album for the first time. Soundcloud. [Access date December 17, 2014]
- ↑ Ali, Lorraine. 2015 Lana Del Rey talks about her Globe-nominated 'Big Eyes' title track. LA Times. [Access date January 6, 2015]
- ↑ Mast, Jake (@jake__mast). "Lana del Rey music video titled "Music To Watch Boys To" coming out verry soon this month!! Check us out! #lanadelrey" June 4, 2015. Twitter. Access date: [June 4, 2015]