"Motel 6" (also known as "Slow Gin Fizzzz" or "Slo Gin Fizz") is an unreleased song by Lana Del Rey. The song is registered to the Harry Fox Agency.
Background[edit | edit source]
The song is registered as "Motel 6" with the writers credited as Del Rey and The Rural, however four recordings of the track have leaked.
An a cappella demo, similar to the a cappella demo of "Carmen" and "Methamphetamines", leaked on October 5, 2012, followed by a version of the song produced by Jeff Peretz that leaked on February 3, 2013. The original file of Peretz's version is labeled as "Slo-Gin-Slo-III1". A home-recorded acoustic demo leaked September 13, 2014, under the title "Slow Gin Fizzzz". A snippet of the version registered with The Rural, recorded in 2010, leaked on August 15, 2016 under the title "Motel 6 (Vicarage)", with the full version leaking the following day on August 16, 2016. A 5th version, produced by David Kahne, has been confirmed by himself via E-mail. Another version, produced by Crispin Hunt, is rumored to exist.
Several stem snippets from The Rural demo leaked on April 18, 2017. These include a cappella, a vocal outtake, a drum and a guitar stem. A snippet of an alternate bridge and instrumental surfaced November 25, 2017, but is speculated to be a stem edit. A demo of The Rural version surfaced March 2, 2018, but is speculated to be a stem edit as well.
Cross-references[edit | edit source]
- References to Jim are also found in many songs, perhaps most notably "Ultraviolence".
- Reference to Chuck Grant, Del Rey's sister.
- Reference to "Diet Mountain Dew".
- References to liquor also appear in "Carmen" and "California".
- A Pontiac heaven is also mentioned in "Axl Rose Husband".
- The state of New Jersey is also referenced in songs such as "Hundred Dollar Bill", "Pin Up Galore", "Dangerous Girl" and "Methamphetamines".
- Asking about a girl's worth is also a topic in "This Is What Makes Us Girls".
- Cherry pies are also mentioned in songs such as "Cola", "I Was in a Bad Way", "Summer of Sam", "Betty Boop Boop", "Behind Closed Doors" and "Caught You Boy".
- Gin is also mentioned in "Tulsa Jesus Freak".
- Motels are also mentioned in "Gods & Monsters" and in the title "Mermaid Motel".
- Being or acting dangerous is also referenced in "Playing Dangerous", "Dangerous Girl" and indirectly mentioned in "Off to the Races".
- Liquor is also mentioned in "Carmen", "California" and "Gods & Monsters".
- A pick-up (truck) is also mentioned in "Raise Me Up" and "Driving in Cars with Boys".
- A party is also mentioned in "Art Deco" and the poem "Violet Bent Backwards Over the Grass".
- A Polaroid is also mentioned in "Take Me to Paris" and "Disco".
- 7-11 is also mentioned in "Diet Mountain Dew".
Official versions[edit | edit source]
- A cappella demo (leaked as Sloe Gin Fizz) — 1:40
- Acoustic demo (leaked as Slow Gin Fizzzz) — 2:26
- Peretz demo/alternate version (leaked as Slo Gin Slo III) — 2:54
- The Rural demo (leaked as Vicarage) — 3:17
- Vicarage demo — 3:44
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
The Rural demo version[edit | edit source]
Peretz demo version[edit | edit source]
A cappella demo[edit | edit source]
Acoustic demo[edit | edit source]
References[edit | edit source]
- HFA Song Code: M7477T