"Million Dollar Man" is a song by Lana Del Rey that is featured as the tenth track on her debut major-label studio album, Born to Die. It was written with Chris Braide, who also produced the song with Emile Haynie.
Del Rey first performed the song live on the 2011 leg of her Born to Die Tour, before the song was officially released. It was also included on the setlist of the 2012 leg of the Born to Die Tour, as well as the Paradise Tour (2013-2014). In 2017, the song was performed a cappella on August 1st at the House of Blues in Anaheim, California. And in 2018, the first verse and chorus of the song was performed on February 5th in Atlanta, Georgia at the LA to the Moon Tour.
Composition and critical reception
"Million Dollar Man" is a cinematic Jazz-influenced ballad with low vocals and piano laced production. It runs at a duration of three minutes and fifty-one seconds. Sal Cinquemani of Slant called it a "solid, bluesy ballad" and stated that it felt quite reminiscent of Fiona Apple's music. Jen Dan of Delusions of Adequacy similarly referred to the song as a jazzy torch song, that "layers together smoky, expressive vocals, piano notes, and extended strings".
- Money is mentioned in many songs like "Hundred Dollar Bill", "Money Power Glory" and "National Anthem".
- The lyric "one for the money, and two for the show" is a direct reference to Elvis Presley's cover of "Blue Suede Shoes" by Carl Perkins.
|Director||Lana Del Rey|
Background and description
Before the release of Born to Die, Del Rey filmed a homemade music video for the demo version of "Million Dollar Man". It features clips of Del Rey herself and clips from miscellaneous films and videos, similar to the style of many of her pre-Born to Die era music videos.
- Album version — 3:51
- Demo version — 3:42 (produced by Chris Braide)
- Instrumental version — 3:50
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting
- Christ Braide — songwriting, production, guitars, acoustic piano, strings, drum programming
- Emile Haynie — production, drums, additional keyboards
- Dan Grech-Marguerat — mixing
- Duncan Fuller — mixing assistance
- John Davis — mastering
- Published by EMI / Sony / ATV
- Recorded at Human Feel Studios, Los Angeles, United States
- Mixed at Miloco's Engine Room, London, United Kingdom
- Mastered at Metropolis Mastering, London, United Kingdom
- ↑ http://www.slantmagazine.com/music/review/lana-del-rey-born-to-die
- ↑ http://www.adequacy.net/2012/02/lana-del-rey-born-to-die/