Del Rey posted a snippet of the song to Instagram on January 1, 2019. The untitled snippet was tentatively known as "In Your Car" by fans.
On July 30th, fans discovered the official title was "Love Song" after using Shazam to identify the snippet from Instagram.
Del Rey spoke about a possible music video for the track during an Instagram livestream on September 4, 2019. She said, "I feel like 'Love Song' is the kind of song you have to have a video for, to realize that it's kinda special—cause otherwise it's pretty stark." She continued she had an idea for it saying, "I'd like to paint it, like have a painted video, like a Monet that came to life."
- "In your car, I'm a star" alludes to the line "In the back of your car like a star" in "Is It Wrong".
- Del Rey sings about being in the backseat in "Happiness Is a Butterfly".
- A party dress is mentioned in "Cruel World", "Hundred Dollar Bill" and "National Anthem".
- Being a "mess" is also mentioned in "Cruel World" and "Lolita".
- Del Rey sings about being a star in earlier song "A Star for Nick".
- Lana Del Rey — production, songwriting, vocals
- Jack Antonoff — production, songwriting, engineering, mixing, programming, electric guitar, keyboards, piano
- Laura Sisk — engineering, mixing
- Jonathan Sher — assistant engineering
- Phillip Peterson — cello
- Victoria Parker — violin
- Chris Gehringer — mastering
- Will Quinnell — assistant mastering
- Mastered at Sterling Sound
- Recorded at Conway Recording Studios, Los Angeles, United States / Rough Customer Studio, New York, United States / House of Breaking Glass, Seattle, United States
- Mixed at Electric Lady Studios, New York, United States