"Looking for America" is a song by Lana Del Rey. It was recorded on August 5, 2019 and produced by Jack Antonoff. The song was recorded while promoting her sixth studio album and fifth major-label studio album, Norman Fucking Rockwell!. The song was officially released on August 9, 2019, simultaneously with "Season of the Witch".
Background and writing
"Looking for America" was conceptualized by Del Rey while in Montecito, California with her brother Charlie Grant in the wake of two mass-shootings. On August 5, 2019, Del Rey posted a video of her singing the song in the studio with Antonoff playing guitar and added the following caption.
- "Looking For America
- Hi folks came back early from Montecito with my brother this morning and asked Jack Antonoff to come into town because I had a song on my mind that I wanted to write.
- Now I know I’m not a politician and I’m not trying to be so excuse me for having an opinion- but in light of all of the mass shootings and the back to back shootings in the last couple of days which really affected me on a cellular level I just wanted to post this video that our engineer Laura took 20 minutes ago. I hope you like it. I’m singing love to the choruses I recorded this morning. I’m going to call it ‘Looking for America’"
After the song gained positive reception online, it was revealed on August 8, 2019 that the song would officially be released on August 9, 2019 along with the Del Rey's cover of "Season of the Witch". It was released as a charity single, with all of the track's proceeds going to support the Gilroy Garlic Festival Victims Relief fund, El Paso Community Relief Fund and Dayton Foundation.
- Del Rey sings about fireworks in "Behind Closed Doors" and bombs in "Change".
- The state of American politics is also a central theme in "When the World Was at War We Kept Dancing".
- America is also referenced in "God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It".
- Lana Del Rey — songwriting, production, vocals
- Jack Antonoff — songwriting, production, mixing, acoustic guitar, drums, electric guitar, mellotron, piano, rhodes, synthesizer
- Laura Sisk — mixing, engineering, recording
- Jonathan Sher — assistant recording
- Chris Gehringer — mastering