"Life Is Beautiful" (also known as "Life Is Still Beautiful") is a song by Lana Del Rey that was featured in the trailer for the 2015 movie The Age of Adaline.
Background and writing
The song was written by Del Rey and produced and co-written by long-time collaborator Dan Heath in 2012 during the Paradise sessions. On July 31, 2012, Del Rey explained that the track had come to her after going back to writing music following polarising reviews and criticism during the release of Born to Die. She had written a song about someone convincing their friend to "come back to them" because "life is still beautiful". Shortly after writing the song, Del Rey was contacted by a producer who had commissioned her to submit a track for The Age of Adaline with a theme that was similar to what she had just written. Ultimately, the song was never officially released, however was featured in various promotional videos for the film.
On August 1, 2020, two versions of the song leaked in full online: the 2015 version, made for The Age of Adaline movie and an early mix from 2012. The early version features minimal vocal and instrumental differences. The original lossless file for the 2015 version leaked on December 25, 2020. It was titled "Life is Beautiful (RIO v3) main 16bit ref".
"Life Is Beautiful" is a cinematic ballad in the key of C♯ major with a slow tempo of approximately 63 beats per minute. The track features lush strings and layered vocal harmonies in the chorus. The full song runs at three minutes and twenty six seconds and does not follow the same layout of the trailer with many lyrics been cut out.
On April 21, 2015, a snippet of the track was released in a new trailer for the film. On September 14, another snippet was released in a promotional ad on Instagram, including the end of the song's chorus and the beginning of its bridge. It was rumored to be included on Del Rey's 3rd full-length LP Honeymoon, since it wasn't featured on the soundtrack for The Age of Adaline, but the track has yet to be officially released. On June 2, 2016 a fan asked Del Rey about the song and she responded by saying "It was just for the movie".
- The title, "life is beautiful", is prominently featured in "Black Beauty" as well as "Without You".
- The phrase "your soul's on fire" is similar to "set my soul on fire" which appears in "Queen of Disaster".
- A desire is also mentioned in "Burning Desire".
- God is referenced in many Del Rey's songs, including "God Bless America - and All the Beautiful Women in It" and "God Knows I Tried".
- The phrase "come on, boy" is similar to "come on, baby" which appears in "Cola".
- Trying to be stronger is also a topic in "Venice Bitch" and "California".
- 2015 version ("Life Is Beautiful") — 3:28
- 2012 version ("Life Is Still Beautiful") — 3:30
- Dyson, Alex (2012) "Lana Del Hooray!" Audio blog post. Triple J. [Reference begins 15:14] [Access date: April 2, 2017] (Link updated: May 12, 2020)
- PPL Repertoire ISRC: GBUM71502702
- YouTube - "Lana Del Rey 'Life is Beautiful' - The AGE OF ADALINE (2015 Movie - Blake Lively)".
- Adam Samouel twitter status, 14 September 2015
- Lana Del Rey Latest twitter status, 2 June 2016