"Groupie Love" is a song by Lana Del Rey featuring ASAP Rocky. It was co-written with Rocky and Rick Nowels and co-produced with Nowels, Kieron Menzies, Hector Delgado and Dean Reid. The song is featured on her fifth studio album and fourth major-label studio album, Lust for Life. It was released as the album's fourth single on July 12, 2017, alongside "Summer Bummer".
Background and writing[edit | edit source]
On July 8, 2017, a snippet of the song surfaced online, and after speculation from fans that the song would be released as a single, Del Rey revealed that it would be released on July 12, 2017, along with "Summer Bummer", which also features ASAP Rocky.
On July 12, 2017, Zane Lowe premiered both "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love" on Beats 1 Radio. Lust for Life was simultaneously put up for pre-order. The song impacted contemporary hit radio in Italy on July 28, 2017.
In an interview with BBC Radio 1 on July 12, 2017, Del Rey stated that "Groupie Love" was the first collaboration that her and ASAP Rocky did together for the album and that she had sent him about four songs that she wanted him to contribute to. Del Rey posted the unofficial promotional single artwork through her Twitter where she credits ASAP Rocky as "Flacko".
In another interview on July, 2017 producer Rick Nowels told Genius that "Groupie Love" was one of the first songs they wrote for the album. About the collaboration he said that "Lana had the idea to bring A$AP Rocky. He's a great guy; very smart and creative. His producer Hector Delgado came in too and did the beats on the song and co-produced it with us". 
Critical reception and composition[edit | edit source]
"Groupie Love" is a slow paced track with trap beats that lyrically explores the topic of having a romantic relationship with a musician. The song is performed in the key of A major at approximately 176 beats per minute and lasts 4 minutes and 24 seconds, although an alternate mix of the song is registered on PPL Repertoire and lasts 4 minutes and 45 seconds, but this version remains unreleased.
ASAP Rocky's vocal contributions to the track received mixed reactions from critics. Dan Weiss of Consequence of Sound criticized ASAP Rocky's contribution to the track, saying that "it adds nothing to the latter", while in contrast, Madison Zehmer of Old Gold & Black stated that his contributions on "Summer Bummer" and "Groupie Love" enhanced the tracks in style.
Live performances[edit | edit source]
Cross-references[edit | edit source]
- "You and I 'til the day we die" is a similar lyric to "cause you and I, we were born to die" from "Born to Die".
- A love story with a rockstar is also referenced in "Is It Wrong", "Match Made in Heaven", "Big Bad Wolf", "Architecture" and "White Mustang", among others.
- Del Rey also says "groupie" in "Gods & Monsters" and "West Coast".
- Key lime is also mentioned in the title of "Coconut and Key Lime Pie".
- Playing guitar is also mentioned in "Music to Watch Boys To", "Brooklyn Baby", "For K (Part 2)", "The Next Best American Record" and "Tomorrow Never Came".
Official versions[edit | edit source]
- Album version — 4:24
- Instrumental version — 4:28
- Clean version — 4:24
- Alternate mix (unreleased) — 4:45
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting, production
- ASAP Rocky — vocals, songwriting
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, mellotron, piano, synthesizer, synthesizer program, vibraphone
- Hector Delgado — production, engineering, keyboard, bass guitar, drums, percussion, synthesizer
- Kieron Menzies — production, engineering, keyboard, drums, mixing, percussion, synthesizer
- Dean Reid — production, engineering, bass guitar, vocoder, mixing, sound effects
- Trevor Yasuda — engineering, keyboard
- Patrick Warren — keyboard, piano, strings
- Zac Rae — keyboard, electric guitar
- David Levita — electric guitar
- Berkay Birecikli — percussion
- Mighty Mike — Sound effects, Percussion
Charts[edit | edit source]
|New Zealand Heatseekers (RMNZ)||8|
[edit | edit source]
- Buy/stream "Groupie Love"
References[edit | edit source]
- Lana Del Rey (July 10, 2017). "2 new tracks w ASAP ROCKY dropping on the 12th...". Facebook.
- Lana Del Rey (July 12, 2017). "NEW SONG W FLACKO...". Facebook.
- ISRC: GBUM71702648