"For Free" is a song by Joni Mitchell covered by Lana Del Rey with Weyes Blood and Zella Day. It is featured on her seventh studio album, Chemtrails Over the Country Club, and serves as the closing track.
The song is about Joni being mesmerized by the wonderful music a street musician plays while she is pondering the fame and riches she has achieved while this man plays for free.
Del Rey covered the song as a part of the Norman Fucking Rockwell Tour on various dates, sometimes with fellow artists Zella Day and Weyes Blood. The trio performed it at The Grammy Museum in October 2019.
On December 18, 2020, it appeared on Shazam alongside the rest of the tracklist for Chemtrails Over the Country Club. Blood hinted at a collaboration on Del Rey's album on her Instagram stories in early 2020, so it is possible that this is the trio's collaboration song, given their past performances together.
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, producer.
- Weyes Blood — vocals.
- Zella Day — vocals.
- Jack Antonoff — composer, producer, mixer, bass, guitar, mellotron, piano.
- Laura Sisk — engineer, mixer.
- Evan Smith — brass band.
- Chris Gehringer — mastering engineer.
- John Rooney — assistant recording engineer.
- Jon Sher — assistant recording engineer.