"American" is a song by Lana Del Rey. It is featured as the second track from her third studio EP and second major-label release, Paradise, which was officially released worldwide on November 9, 2012. The song was co-written with Rick Nowels and Emile Haynie, with production by Nowels.
Del Rey performed the song live for the first time on the first date of the Paradise Tour on April 3, 2013, in Amnéville, France. The song was included as part of the setlist for a majority of the remaining dates on the 2013 leg of the Paradise Tour.
- Direct reference to "Elvis".
- Del Rey tells her lover "spin me 'round" in "On Our Way".
- A party dress is referenced in "National Anthem", "Dangerous Girl", "Smarty", "True Love on the Side", "Cruel World" and "Hawaiian Tropic".
- To drive fast is sung about in "Burning Desire".
- The phrase "tall, tan" is also found in "Cherry Blossom".
- The lyric "hell yes, honey, put on that party dress" may be referenced from "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.
- "Honey, put on that party dress" is also found in "Dangerous Girl".
- Album version — 4:08
- Instrumental version — 4:07
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, keyboards, Matrix 1000
- Emile Haynie — songwriting, co-production, drums
- Kieron Menzies — recording, mixing
- Chris Garcia & Jordan Stilwell — additional recording
- Patrick Warren — electric guitar, piano, synthesizer
- Dan Heath — orchestral arrangement
- Tim Pierce — electric guitar
- John Davis — mastering
- Published by EMI / Heavycrate (ASCAP) / R-Rated Music
- Administered by EMI April Music Inc. (ASCAP)
- Recorded at The Green Building, Santa Monica, United States
- Mastered at Metropolis Mastering, London, United Kingdom