"American" is a song by Lana Del Rey. It is featured as the second track from her third studio EP and second major-label release, Paradise, which was officially released worldwide on November 9, 2012. The song was co-written with Rick Nowels and Emile Haynie, with production by Nowels.
Background[edit | edit source]
The song's official instrumental leaked on November 19, 2018.
Live performances[edit | edit source]
Del Rey performed the song live for the first time on the first date of the Paradise Tour on April 3, 2013, in Amnéville, France. The song was included as part of the setlist for a majority of the remaining dates on the 2013 leg of the Paradise Tour.
Cross-references[edit | edit source]
- Direct reference to "Elvis".
- Direct reference to Bruce Springsteen.
- Del Rey tells her lover "spin me 'round" in "On Our Way".
- A party dress is referenced in "National Anthem", "Dangerous Girl", "Smarty", "True Love on the Side", "Cruel World" and "Hawaiian Tropic".
- To drive fast is sung about in "Burning Desire".
- The phrase "tall, tan" is also found in "Cherry Blossom".
- The lyric "hell yes, honey, put on that party dress" may be referenced from "Mary Jane's Last Dance" by Tom Petty and The Heartbreakers.
- "Honey, put on that party dress" is also found in "Dangerous Girl".
- "Come on, put on your party dress" is found in Bruce Springsteen's song "Real World" from his 1992 album Human Touch.
- Springsteen also uses the lyric "She slipped off her party dress" in "Loose Change", an outtake from Human Touch.
- The post-chorus (i.e. the "ooh-ooh ooh" part) is also used in the song "I Talk to Jesus".
Official versions[edit | edit source]
- Album version — 4:08
- Instrumental version — 4:06
- Paradise Tour version — 4:08
Lyrics[edit | edit source]
Credits[edit | edit source]
- Lana Del Rey — vocals, songwriting
- Rick Nowels — songwriting, production, keyboards, Matrix 1000
- Emile Haynie — songwriting, co-production, drums
- Kieron Menzies — recording, mixing
- Chris Garcia & Jordan Stilwell — additional recording
- Patrick Warren — electric guitar, piano, synthesizer
- Dan Heath — orchestral arrangement
- Tim Pierce — electric guitar
- John Davis — mastering
- Published by EMI / Heavycrate (ASCAP) / R-Rated Music
- Administered by EMI April Music Inc. (ASCAP)
- Recorded at The Green Building, Santa Monica, United States
- Mastered at Metropolis Mastering, London, United Kingdom